Pages

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Weekend Baking: Chocolate Slice

Every now and then I like to make something a little less healthy and a little more oh so chocolatey goodness! This was one of those weeks. When I was a little girl my mum used to make the most amazing chocolate slice made from vanilla wine biscuits. It was my favourite thing in the whole world but unfortunately somewhere along the way she lost the recipe. Well recently I spotted a recipe online that looked like it was the same thing so I had to make it. It was close, but not quite the same but hopefully I'll have a good enough base that I can now tweak it until I get it perfect. Of course that's not to say this one isn't delicious, cause it is! It's just not quite the same as the one from my childhood.

Regardless of that, this is such a simple and easy to make slice that I definitely recommend you give it a go.  Warning: chocolate overdose may result.


Ingredients
175g butter
2/3 cup caster sugar
4 tablespoons Cocoa
2 tablespoons desiccated coconut
1 egg, lightly beaten
250g plain biscuits : crushed (I use Griffins Super Wine)

How to make it

In a saucepan melt butter, sugar and cocoa over a medium heat for 3 minutes. Stirring to ensure sugar dissolves.

Remove from heat add coconut, egg and biscuits. Press mixture into a baking paper lined tin/dish. Chill for an hour, or you can leave it in the fridge over night. When cool, you can ice it.

Chocolate top

250g Cadbury dark cooking chocolate, chopped coarsely
50g butter

Method 

Melt chocolate and butter in bowl over simmering water. Spread over slice.Then set in the fridge for 20 minutes.

Recipe copied from original post here


No comments:

Post a Comment