They are absolutely divine with a bit of jam and cream for a special weekend afternoon tea.
This is the recipe I used and I was very pleased with the outcome. They were crunchy on the outside but soft in the middle and straight out of the oven they were delicious!
3 cups plain flour
6 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 - 1½ cups milk, approximately
- Preheat oven to 220 deg C. Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl.
- Cut butter into the dry mixture
- Add 1 cup milk and quickly mix until a dough forms (adding a little more milk if necessary). Knead a few times
- Press scone mix out onto a flour surface and cut into 12 equal portions.
- Place on an oven tray and and brush tops with milk
- Cook for 10 mins or until golden brown. Cool on a rack covered in a tea towel.